How To Be Energized In The Morning – Even On Little Sleep
It’s Monday morning and you haven’t gotten enough sleep. Coffee isn’t doing the trick and the thought of going to work makes your stomach turn. What should you do? First off don’t despair, while sleep is essential and in the long term it will majorly backfire if you don’t get enough (lack of sleep has been associated with everything from weight gain to shrinking your brain), there are plenty of things you can do in the short term to boost your level of AM alertness.
Here’s a look at tips we put together along with Graham Fortgang, co-owner of MatchaBar.
- Take a cold shower – it’s not fun, but it’s effective.
- Trade in your shot of espresso for cold or warm water with a squeeze of lemon. It will not only help clear your mind, but it’s great to boost your metabolism and get your digestion working optimally.
- Healthy snacks are the key to staying on your feet. Some good options are fruit (such as blueberries, cantaloupe and apples), KIND bars and roasted almonds. It is better for digestion to snack throughout then day then to eat two or three large meals. That said make sure to start your day off with breakfast.
- Naps! Keep them short and sweet. A 20-minute nap will do wonders to refresh you when your energy starts to decline.
- Running regularly, especially before a long day. Even if you don’t have time for long run, any amount of time will boost your energy immediately. If you don’t like to run do a quick morning circuit to clear your foggy mind and get your body moving.
- Put on upbeat tunes.
- Let as much light into your apartment as possible – i.e. open up all blinds, curtains, and shades.
- Whip up a morning matcha. The slow release caffeine will keep you buzzing for hours, way longer than coffee.