Best Deserts for your Oscars 2015 Viewing Party
Here are three quick recipes for your Oscars 2015 Viewing Party. These deserts will be a great addition to the rest of your party menu. Enjoy!
COCONUT RUM CUSTARD PIE WITH CRUMB CRUST
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients & blend well. Press evenly over bottom & up sides of 9 inch pie pan. Bake at 350 for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven & chill.
1-1/4 cups milk
4 large eggs
1 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons Rum Vanilla or 1 tablespoon Tortuga Light Rum
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup grated of finely chopped fresh coconut, toasted lightly
Preheat oven to 400. In medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs slightly with electric mixer or rotary hand mixer. On low speed, add the sugar, salt, Rum Vanilla or rum & mix well. Gradually stir in the milk & coconut milk and blend well, scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Pour into the baked shell & bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 & bake an additional 30 minutes, or until knife inserted in custard center comes out lean. Cool to room temperature & sprinkle with toasted coconut.
CHOCOLATE RUM PUDDING RECIPE
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons chilled heavy cream
1 1/2 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate
1 teaspoon dark rum
1/4 teaspoon instant-espresso powder
1. Vigorously whisk together yolk, 1 tablespoon sugar, flour, and a pinch of salt until well blended.
2. Heat milk and 3 tablespoons cream in a heavy saucepan until hot but not boiling. Add one third of hot milk to yolk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Add remaining milk, whisking, then transfer to saucepan. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, then continue to simmer, still whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat and add chocolate, rum, and espresso powder. Let stand until chocolate is melted, about 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth.
4. Transfer to a glass and chill, covered, at least 30 minutes to cool quickly to room temperature. Just before serving, vigorously whisk remaining 3 tablespoons cream with remaining 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl until it holds soft peaks. Top pudding with whipped cream.
HOT BUTTERED RUM RECIPE
1 Small slice soft butter
1 Teaspoon brown sugar
Optional spices to taste: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, allspice
1 Dash Vanilla extract
2 Ounces dark rum
Hot water in tea kettle
Cinnamon sticks for garnish, optional
1. Place the butter, sugar and spices at the bottom of a coffee glass or mug. Mix well or muddle. Slowly pour in the rum and hot water. Stir to mix thoroughly.
2. Garnish with cinnamon sticks (optional).
3. Serve hot.
Need some other food ideas? Here is the list we put together for the Golden Globes, reuse and enjoy!