The Teen Mental Health Crisis: What Parents Can Do To Help
In today’s fast-paced world, the mental health of our teenagers has become a critical concern. The rising prevalence of stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues among teenagers necessitates a holistic approach to promote their well-being. Results from a recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey add to the evidence that teen mental health is in crisis, with particularly concerning numbers surrounding teen girls. The survey found around 1 in 3 high school girls in the U.S. have seriously considered attempting suicide and more than half of teen girls, 57%, reported feeling “persistently sad or hopeless” — a record high. In contrast, 14% of high school boys told the 2021 survey that they had seriously considered attempting suicide, up from 13% in 2011.
In this episode of the Holistic Wealth Podcast, we delve into the teen mental health crisis, exploring its root causes, the challenges faced, and effective strategies for fostering mental wellness. In the NEW Holistic Wealth Expanded and Updated: 36 Life Lessons To Help You Recover From Disruption, Find Your Life Purpose and Achieve Financial Freedom, there are many strategies throughout to help you master the “Art of Recovery From Disruption”. Tune in to listen to this episode of the Holistic wealth podcast with Keisha Blair.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Understanding the Teen Mental Health Crisis: In this episode we’re shedding light on the various factors contributing to the teen mental health crisis. From social media influence to bullying, childhood grief and increased societal expectations, teenagers often find themselves overwhelmed and struggling to cope. By understanding these underlying causes, we can better address the issue and provide the necessary support.
- How to Create Safe Spaces for Expression: Teens need safe spaces where they can openly express their emotions without fear of judgment or reprisal. We explore the importance of creating supportive environments at home, in schools, and within communities. Encouraging open dialogue, active listening, and empathy empowers teenagers to share their challenges and seek guidance when needed.
- How to Empower Teens with Coping Mechanisms: Equipping teens with effective coping mechanisms is essential for their mental well-being. We explore holistic approaches such as mindfulness practices, stress management techniques, and self-care routines. By introducing these tools early on, we empower teenagers to develop resilience and navigate life’s ups and downs with greater ease.
- How to Foster Connection and Social Support: Loneliness and isolation can exacerbate mental health issues among teenagers. We delve into the importance of building meaningful connections, both offline and online, to combat these feelings. We discuss the role of supportive friendships, mentorship programs, and community involvement in fostering a sense of belonging and emotional support.
- The role of Parents, Educators, and Society: We discuss the significance of destigmatizing mental health, raising awareness about available resources, and advocating for comprehensive mental health education in schools. By addressing mental health openly and collaboratively, we create an environment where teenagers feel validated and supported.
As the teen mental health crisis continues to grow, it is our collective responsibility to take action. By approaching mental health holistically, we can nurture the well-being of our teenagers and empower them to lead fulfilling lives.
The Teen Mental Health Crisis: What Parents Can Do To Help
The Summer Bucket List and Summer Schedules
Making a summer bucket list and schedule for teens can be a fun and effective way for parents to keep their teens occupied during the summer break. Here are some steps to guide parents in creating an engaging and fulfilling summer plan:
- Give Your Teen Ownership of the process: Start by sitting down with your teenager and discussing their interests, passions, and goals for the summer. Encourage them to brainstorm activities they would like to do or skills they would like to develop. Allow your teen the independence of prioritizing their time and interests.
- Create a summer bucket list: Based on the brainstorming session, together with your teen, create a summer bucket list of activities and experiences they want to accomplish during the break. This list can include a mix of indoor and outdoor activities, hobbies, learning opportunities, community service, and social engagements.
- Prioritize and set realistic goals: Help your teenager prioritize the activities on their bucket list based on their interests, time availability, and feasibility. It’s important to set realistic goals that can be achieved during the summer period. Break down larger goals into smaller, actionable steps to make them more manageable.
- Design a flexible summer schedule: With the bucket list in mind, collaborate with your teenager to create a flexible summer schedule. Allocate specific days or time slots for different activities, ensuring a balance between structured and unstructured time. Incorporate downtime for relaxation and self-care as well.
- Explore a variety of activities: Encourage your teen to engage in a mix of activities that cater to their interests and help them explore new areas. This can include enrolling in summer classes or workshops, volunteering for community service projects, pursuing creative hobbies, joining sports or recreational activities, or planning day trips or outings with friends and family.
- Encourage reflection and growth: Throughout the summer, provide opportunities for your teen to reflect on their experiences and personal growth. Engage in conversations about their accomplishments, challenges, and lessons learned. This reflection can help them gain a sense of fulfillment and self-awareness.
Listen to the Full Episode: The Teen Mental Health Crisis: What Parents Can Do To Help
Featured on the Show:
- Check out my website at: keishablair.com
- Check out the new website: holisticwealthpodcast.com
- Order the new book, Holistic Wealth (Expanded and Updated): 36 Life Lessons To Help You Recover From Disruption, Find Your Life Purpose and Achieve Financial Freedom, also mentioned as a resource in this episode.
- Visit keishablair.com and subscribe. Also check out our FREE financial identity quiz and online courses at the Institute on Holistic Wealth. Check out our signature program, and become a Certified Holistic Wealth Consultant and help people build a life of Holistic Wealth.
- Order the award-winning, bestselling book Holistic Wealth: 32 Life Lessons To Help You Find Purpose, Prosperity and Happiness, and the Holistic Wealth Personal Workbook.
- Follow Keisha Blair on Instagram and Twitter – and ask me your questions related to holistic wealth!
Enjoying the Holistic Wealth Podcast with Keisha Blair?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a Review in Apple Podcasts!