Just when we think spring is here and cold and flu season has ended, it hits like a wave, swinging in for that last round before the warm weather arrives. If you find yourself, your partner or your kiddos suffering from a stuffy nose and cough – you aren’t alone! It’s going around. Rather than pumping yourself and your family full of cold meds (which often make you feel worse), how about exploring some natural options for both shortening the duration and preventing a cold? If you’re thinking now is the time to check out some alternatives, here’s a look the best natural cold remedies out there.
8 Natural Cold Remedies
1. Vitamin C – Ramping up your vitamin C intake is one of the best ways to shorten the duration of a cold or even prevent it from starting in the first place.
2. Cinnamon – Cinnamon is naturally packed with antibiotic and antiviral qualities, making it a great choice for fighting off a cold. Add it to tea or water and drink up.
3. Nettle Leaf – This herb is known for helping to stave of illness. Loaded with vitamins, it also helps the body rid itself of toxins and even supports the immune system. Mix it up in an herbal tea for the best effects.
4. Garlic – YES, garlic! Sounds like an odd alternative, right? As it turns out, garlic is packed with antibacterial, anti-fungal and antibiotic qualities – making it an obvious natural choice for fighting off colds. Simply mince one or two cloves and mix with water. Drink up!
5. Zinc – When taken in the form of a lozenge or capsule, zinc is known for prevention both cold and flu.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar – Drink up a big tablespoon of apple cider vinegar at the first sights of being sick. It doesn’t have the best taste, but if you do that a few times a day, your symptoms should quickly subside.
7. Ginger – Known for easing the stomach, ginger actually can also help alleviate headaches and fever. Make a tea by steeping fresh ginger root or opt for ginger tea bags.
8. Lemon – Hot lemon water will work wonders for pumping your body full of all that vitamin C that you really need. Don’t like the taste of plain lemon water, add an herbal tea bag.
Have you ever tried natural remedies in place of cold medicine? Which do you prefer?