6 Ways To Stick To Your Long-Term Goals
There is no doubt that all of us have long-term passions and goals, but sometimes life gets in the way. Whether it’s children, pets, relationships or the work that pays the bills, we are all busy people. Sorting through the work that has to be done to survive while squeezing in the passions that keep a fire underneath us is a challenge – but, if you want it badly enough and dream it big enough, you can (and you will!) have it all. You don’t have to be born with a mental toughness that will get you through it all, but you have to want to achieve your dreams and feel passionate while you’re living life. Sometimes, the mundane and the boring clouds that view, but you if you can see through the fog, you will learn how to work hard and stick to your long-term passions and goals. Want to have it all? Here are a few tricks of the trade.
1. Remember that you (and only you) are in control of your life and your destiny. Sure, there are things that happen. Life moments that may steer you off course or set a stage you hadn’t planned on, but when it comes down to it, you make the decisions for you. Don’t love your job? Don’t blame the job, take control and find a new one. Not as healthy as you wish you could be? Get up early and put those running shoes on – it’s time to make a change.
2. Leave the past in the past and set your sights on what’s to come. Stuck on something that happened years ago and has been holding you back from achieving your goals ever since? It’s time to Let. It. Go.. You are a new person, a dedicated person and one who’s ready to achieve every goal and turn every passion into your life’s work. Move on. Be ready for the future and use what’s happened in the past as fuel to move forward.
3. Some things you cannot change. Remember – you are in control of you, however you aren’t in control of those around you. Wish you could change the habits of your partner? You can certainly voice your opinion – but that change is up to him or her. Feel like you wish you could change the political landscape in your town or city? Get out there and vote – and then put your passions to the test and run for office. Be effective where you can be – sometimes that means starting small.
4. Be proud of yourself. Little victories are still victories and you have every right to get excited when you meet small goals. Don’t cheat yourself of the small celebrations that will help fuel your enthusiasm and keep you motivated as you work toward long-term goals. Be excited and share your joy.
5. Be happy and supportive of those around you. Remember – you aren’t going to achieve all your goals alone. A community of supporters and friends will help you along the way – so do the same for others. Even when you aren’t reaching all your dreams in the timeframe you’re after, don’t be down on those around you. Use their success to inspire and ignite you to work harder and more passionately.
6. Have fun! You’re chasing your goals and feeding your passions, after all. This should be an incredible time in your life – not something that weighs you down. We each only have one life to live – and it’s worth loving every moment of it.
Do you find it tough to balance life, work and all your passions and goals? How do you focus and reach for that ultimate achievement?