In this exciting episode of the Holistic Wealth podcast with Keisha Blair, our special guest is Danté Stewart, we discussed the racial wealth gap and the legacy of colonialism in light of recent events such as the death of Queen Elizabeth II. We also discussed the issue of reparations (what is needed and why) and the Black Maternal Health crisis. Danté Stewart is an award-winning writer, speaker and author of Shoutin’ In The Fire: An American Epistle. The Georgia Writers Association named Danté as “Georgia Writer of the Year” 2022 (Memoir); The Center for American Progress as one of “22 Faith Leaders to Watch in 2022”; and Religion News Service as one of “Ten Up-And-Coming Faith Influencers,” his work has appeared in The Atlantic, New York Times, the Washington Post, TIME, ESPN’s Andscape, Oxford American, Sojourners, NPR, CNN, Parents, and more.
Today, Black Americans make up roughly 13% of the U.S. population but hold just 3% of the country’s wealth. The median net worth of a White family in the United States in 2019 was $188,200, as compared with $24,100 for a Black family. The racial wealth gap is large, persists across income groups, and has not changed in over a century. We discussed issues such as reparations, the breadth and scope needed to really affect change as well as the history of financial barriers faced by Black people in securing vital loans.
Wealth matters because it is a fundamental determinant of health. Health equity strategies that fail to address the racial wealth gap will be ineffective. In particular Black Maternal health crisis continues to persist. Tune in to listen to this episode of the Holistic Wealth podcast with Keisha Blair and special guest, Danté Stewart.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Danté’s amazing journey, as a writer, minister and Faith Leader and how spiritual self-renewal intersects with oppression and racism.
- The racial wealth gap and the legacy of colonialism (especially in light of the recent passing of Queen Elizabeth II).
- Reparations – why they are important and why they need to be holistic in nature to cater to all needs in order to properly address trauma and oppressive systems.
- Danté’s personal story and moving essay on Parents.com on Black Maternal Health.
- Danté’s thoughts on thriving in oppressive systems and advice on how to take care of your mental well-being.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Check out Danté’s website at: https://www.dantecstewart.com/
- Danté On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stewartdantec/
- Order Danté’s book, Shoutin In The Fire: An American Epistle
- Order Keisha Blair’s new book, Holistic Wealth Expanded and Updated: 36 Life Lessons To Help You Recover From Disruption, Find Your Life Purpose and Achieve Financial Freedom, also mentioned as a resource in this episode.
- Visit keishablair.com and subscribe. Also, check out our FREE financial identity quiz and online courses at the Institute on Holistic Wealth. Check out our signature program, become a Certified Holistic Wealth Consultant and help people build a life of Holistic Wealth.
- Order the award-winning, bestselling book Holistic Wealth: 32 Life Lessons To Help You Find Purpose, Prosperity and Happiness, and the Holistic Wealth Personal Workbook.
- Follow Keisha Blair on Instagram and Twitter – and ask me your questions related to holistic wealth!
Enjoying the Holistic Wealth Podcast with Keisha Blair?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or RSS.
- Leave us a Review in Apple Podcasts!