Marinated Kale with Sunflower Butter Dressing
Since first trying sunflower butter, it has become a staple in my kitchen cupboard. Packed with protein and good fats, this nut butter can be used with many delicious recipes. I often substitute Sunflower Butter when recipes call for Tahini or even Hemp Seed Butter. Just recenty I tried it with my kale! Many people just cook kale because of it’s tough or crunchy texture, but this nutrient dense food is best eaten raw so all nutrients can be used by the body and not destroyed during the heating process.
Here is the recipe that I used. The secret is massaging the salt into the leaves to leave them softer and much more chewer friendly.
- One bunch Kale
- Pinch or two of Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Cold Filtered Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 2.5 tbsp Raw Sunflower Butter
- 2 tsp Raw Agave Nectar (optional)
- Cut up the rinsed, de-ribbed kale and pat until almost dry. Add in a pinch or two of salt and start to massage it through the kale. This is going to break down and soften the kale so that its nice and easy to chew instead of hard and crunchy.
- Place the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, braggs liquid aminos, sunflower butter, and agave nectar into a blender or food processor. The sauce should have the consistency of a very thick salad dressing.
- Add the dressing to the kale and mix in thoroughly. Wait 20-30 mins for this to soak into the leaves and then eat!