Can you remember the last time you saw the sun? With the winter weather clouding everything over these days, it can be hard to get in your daily dose of vitamin D. In case you’re not in tune with why you need to have this essential vitamin in your system, your body must have vitamin D in order to absorb calcium and promote healthy bone growth. It’s also essential for proper cellular function throughout your entire body. Which means if you’re not getting what you need the natural way with healthy sun exposure, it’s time to amp up your diet to get your fix. Here are a few ways of getting your daily dose of vitamin D when the sun refuses to come out and shine on you.
How to Get More Vitamin D Without the Sun
Don’t let the winter weather mess with your health and nutrients. Here’s how to get more essential vitamin D when the sun isn’t shining.
- Mushrooms – Add these to your salads, omelets, and steak. It’s a tasty way to get some vitamin D.
- Salmon – Whether canned or fresh, salmon is your best bet for getting enough vitamin D in your diet.
- Oysters – Eating just a half dozen will supply you with more than half of your daily recommended amount of vitamin D (50ng/ml according to the Vitamin D Council)
- Halibut – Get a big dose of vitamin D with this light, healthy fish option.
- Shrimp – With nearly 65% of your daily dose in just 6 ounces of shrimp, this is another flavorful way of increasing your vitamin D intake.
- Egg Yolks – Some prefer egg whites, but if you enjoy the yolks, keep them in for a vitamin D rich meal.
- Cheese – If you enjoy cheese, this is an easy way to add calcium and vitamin D to your diet. Shred it on your omelets, use it to top salads, or even just nibble on a few pieces with your wine.
- Vitamin D Fortified Foods: You can also purchase vitamin D fortified foods like milk, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals to work easy consumption into your daily diet.